27 May, 2012

Fremont Indian State Park

Field trip!


Description
During construction of Interstate 70, ruins from a large ancient Fremont Indian village were uncovered. This museum was built to preserve treasures from the site, including pottery, baskets and arrowheads. The ancient people decorated many nearby cliff walls with unique rock art. Spend a few hours at the museum, tour the rock art sites and then camp at nearby Castle Rock Campground.
Location
Approximately 180 miles south of Salt Lake City.
Located 21 miles southwest of Richfield on Interstate 70.
http://www.utah.com/stateparks/fremont.htm



The trails right behind the visitors center:










 Five Finger Ridge right behind me where ruins from a large ancient Fremont Indian village were uncovered.
And onto the Centennial Trail...


100 Hands Cave



Blanket Pictograph
Sheep Shelter





My instagram photo of one of the butterflies on my hike on the Centennial Trail.


4 comments:

  1. Hey, just wanted to say you write an awesome blog. Not many people write about archaeology well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did not write the actual top piece. It is copied from the website link below it. I'm not one for words, hence the photos. But thank you! Archaeology is a passion for me and right now I am fascinated with rock art. I am trying to explore all the things around where I live since I don't have the funds to travel abroad. :)

      ~Tee

      Delete
  2. Well, you take good pictures! I'm lucky enough work as an archaeologist as a collateral duty at work. I've always liked rock art, but my main interest has always been the proto-historic/fur trade era. I spend quite a few of my days off hiking routes from old trapper journals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost like going on a treasure hunt, isn't it?

    ~Tee

    ReplyDelete